Box 11: Unlearning our privileges

Ivanaliz Sanabria

Prof von Uhl

ENGL 21002

Box 11: Unlearning our privilege

List of privileges:

Age: I’m younger than all of my other co workers, still having a lot of great things going for myself. (Does not require effort on my part.)

Gender: I noticed that at work, the kids have a tendency of liking the female group leader more than a male group leader. For example, my group always votes me over my assistant. (Does not require effort on my part.)

Social: Socially, I feel like I have an privilege at my workplace, because I’m real involved with the hype and what goes on in today’s generation with the youth. It makes my job more entertaining because, if a student wants to tell me about a song that just came out, I could understand because I’m likely to know what song just dropped. (Does not require effort on my part.)

Education: I was given the privilege to graduate my junior year, an entire year early. This took hard work, good grades, and perseverance. (Requires my own efforts)

Ever since I was a young girl, I always had an active imagination for teaching the youth. In my present life, I work at a after school program as an recreational specialist. Now that my fieldwork assignment was accomplished, I reflected on my age and education level/opportunities as an early high school graduate and recreation specialist.

I am, in certain ways always introduced as the baby in the 380 St nicks team. It’s usually, “She’s the youngest of us all guys!” I get lucky if I’m just presented as Ivana, our recreational specialist.  Currently I’m a freshman, however I’m supposed to be a senior in High School. Through my efforts and perseverance, I was given the privilege to graduate my junior year, an entire year early. This took hard work, good grades, and perseverance. Now I’m able to pass down all my knowledge to the my students at work, and hope that they cope all of my great habits and later in life use the skills when needed to be used.